Nike Vapor Speed Irons
Nike Vapor Speed Irons
Vapor Speed Irons
Modern Muscle. Pure Power.
Building a better iron starts with listening to the voice of the athlete. When studying Tiger's blades, Nike’s Golf Development team noticed that the wear pattern was directly on the center of the club face, not trending towards the heel where the bulk of the club's weight is carried and where he could achieve a more efficient strike.
- ”We had this idea, if we moved the CG towards the center of the face that it would have more impact and more mass right behind the golf ball. And it worked. I was able to hit the ball a little bit further, it came off more solid, and the amazing thing is the ball flew better." – Tiger Woods
- Modern Muscle geometry balances the CG in the center of the face for maximum ball speed, the highest stability and the purest feel.
- Ultra-fast Spring Steel faces and lightweight, high launch shafts amplify ball speed to the highest level.
- FlyBeam reinforced hollow cavity long irons (3, 4, 5, 6, 7) maximize energy return and off-center stability.
- RZN cavity short irons (8, 9, P, A, SW) combine stability with refined feedback.
- Low and deep weighted for a high-flying, far-reaching trajectory.
- Moderate sole widths with a beveled leading edge for forgiving soled/turf interaction.
- Machine milled X3X grooves for enhanced spin control and shot-to-shot consistency.
- Longer blade lengths and shallower face heights for a clean and confidence-inspiring profile.
Standard Graphite Shaft: Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 70
Standard Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet
Nike Vapor Speed Irons Expert Review
Written By: Bob Gomavitz
The Vapor Speed offers a FlyBeam reinforced hollow cavity design for maximum energy return. This creates greater off-center stability for the 3 thru 7 irons, while the 8 thru PW feature the RZN Cavity for stability, and a refined feedback. The Modern Muscle balances the CG in the center of the face for high ball speeds, stability, and feel. A moderate sole width, and beveled leading edge give players a forgiving turf interaction.
Who's It For?
I would have said in the past that Game Improvement irons are more for 18+ handicappers. Purists most likely will still walk by this section in the stores, but so be it. Now, pretty much any type of player can play this class of Game Improvement irons without hesitation, and there is one main reason. What held back the better players in previous years from using this class of iron was the hot spots, or jumpers as they’re called, which creates inconsistent distances from the same club number. The OEM’s have done a fabulous job correcting this issue with better technology in head and groove design.
The Vapor Speed has a longer head accompanied by a shallower face design. The head also features a similarly rounded toe you see from some of the blade styles, which offered up a very clean look. The hollow head provided a crisp, solid feel that should be liked by the majority of players looking for a great feel from their Game Improvement irons, even on mishits. The ball flight was a tad high, but still very consistent. The Vapor Speed produced excellent distance from the 32 degrees of loft, which is weaker than most Game Improvement 7 irons out there.
Club Tested: 7-Iron; Shaft: Dynamic Gold Pro; Loft: 32°Read the 2015 Game Improvement Irons Guide